Helping Drug Users Help Themselves
Careers with SACHR
As our organization grows, we are regularly seeking talented and passionate employees who are interested in becoming a part of SACHR. Explore the toggles below to learn more about the jobs we have available and how to apply. If you do not see a job opening that applies to you, be sure to check back soon as we regularly update our list of available positions.
Community Health Outreach Worker (CHOW) / HCV Navigator
This position, in support of St. Ann’s Corner of Harm Reduction’s HIV Prevention In-
reach Initiative, reports to the HRS/SAP Manager. SACHR’s CHOW/HCV Navigator, will
work with the program manager to coordinate the daily provision of SAP services and
resources that include in-reach and educational activities to achieve the primary goal,
reduction of the new incidence of seroconversion among individuals at high risk for
The CHOW/ HCV Navigator will work with the program manager to provide
daily, a comprehensive system of care, targeting substance users, their partners/family, and
community members at high sexual risk; residing within the SAP. We serve members from
the Highbridge/Morrisania, Hunts Point/Mott Haven, and Central Bronx communities of
the Bronx, as well as emerging targeted areas of need. The CHOW/HCV Navigator is
expected to work with the program manager to ensure that the highest quality and
appropriate, client centered HIV prevention interventions and client services are provided
In addition, the CHOW/HCV Navigator is expected to improve the organization’s
qualitative and qualitative program performance, promote positive teamwork, and
courtesy in all contacts and encounters. The coordinator will assist with other HRS/SAP
departmental efforts, as assigned to meet the needs of the organization.
Essential Functions Include:
- Coordinate HIV/ HCV on-site prevention education as it relates to SAP/Testing.
- Share information about community resources available, and successfully provide
on-site referrals (substance use treatment, medical care, legal services, social
services, housing/shelter, nutritional services, etc.) and provide cultural &
linguistic literature to support cultural competency. Coordinate efforts to update
community resources and appropriate educational literature.
- Coordinate and implement outreach strategies framed by trans-theoretical
Model//Stages of Change.
- Coordinate the individual/group education interventions concerning Harm
Reduction practices, emphasizing safe intravenous use practices and safe sexual
practices, HIV/AIDS prevention, Hepatitis prevention and STD/STI prevention.
- Engage SAP community members in empowerment processes aimed mainly to
reduce risks as active drug users and sexual partners.
- Discuss issues about general health of intravenous and non-intravenous drug
users, their partners, and families.
- Coordinate individual/small group education interventions concerning practical demonstrations of syringe cleaning procedures (Bleach kit demonstration).
- Share practical information of proper disposal of used syringes, cookers, ties and other drug paraphernalia.
- Share practical demonstrations of safe use of female condoms, male condoms, dental dams, and lubrication.
- Share basic information concerning legal issues and challenges related to drug use.
- Check SAP inventory levels to ensure the department maintains the optimal level of inventory and FIFO; first in first out method of inventory control is used to prevent distribution of expired inventory to participants and/or discarding of expired inventory through our medical waste management service.
- Perform real time AIRS Data Entry and eSHARE Data Entry duties as needed.
- Perform HCV/HIV Rapid testing as needed.
- Refer HCV positive participants for RNA Confirmatory Testing.
- Enter HCV Data into NYSHCV Database and send data in monthly.
- Other duties as necessary
- Demonstrate bilingual written and oral ability in both English and Spanish.
- Respect for the knowledge, feelings, and actions of other people.
- Coordinate the re-creation of public space and transform it as a safe place for
educational empowering interventions.
- Know how to effectively, handle difficult participants, visitors at street sites
(police, reporters, observers, community members, etc.).
- Coordinate Intake and registration of new participants
- Possess basic knowledge about prevention (in drug use and sexual practices).
- Knowledge related to Syringes: uses, differences, and similarities.
- Basic knowledge about vein care; types of drugs; places to shoot safely; abscesses
- Coordinate Bleach Kits and Condom demonstrations which are inclusive of
sterile syringes, cookers, ties, bleach, water, female, and male condoms, dental
dams, and lubricant to reduce the participant’s harm.
- Provide continuity of services to the community outdoors, year-round.
- Possess intermediate Windows Office computer skills.
- Coordinate teamwork efforts to achieve deliverable goals.
- Coordinate used syringe disposal.
To apply, please send your resume to the email: firstname.lastname@example.org, with “CHOW/HCV
Navigator” in the subject line
SACHR provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, national origin, age, veteran status, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law
requirements, SACHR complies with applicable NYS and NYC laws governing
nondiscrimination in employment. SACHR is committed to attracting, retaining and providing
opportunity for a diverse and inclusive workforce.
Benefit Enrollment Specialist
Bridging Access to Benefits and Care is collaboration between SACHR, Acacia & Seedco
The Benefit Enrollment Specialist will connect Bronx based participants and their families to a wide range of income-enhancing benefits that have a proven impact on maintaining employment and helping families build assets. Utilizing Seedco’s EarnBenefits Online (EBO), the Benefit Enrollment Specialist will provide in-person education, benefits screening and eligibility information and public benefits application assistance to participants and their families. The Benefit Enrollment Specialist will also conduct outreach, follow up with participants to document receipt of benefits, and troubleshoot problems participants encounter while applying for benefits.
The Benefit Enrollment Specialist will work out of multiple SACHR program sites in the Bronx and is responsible for outreach to potential participants and traveling between different locations.
KEY ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Work with participants to identify public benefits and community resources available to them utilizing Seedco”s EarnBenefits technology
- Provide in-person benefits enrollment counseling service to potential participants.
- Assist in the completion of new and renewal benefits applications on behalf of clients.
- Provide light case management for all applications, following up with participants to ensure that respective applications and required documentation is submitted and informing participants about their application status.
- Assist participants to resolve any problems and answer questions about their benefits.
- Educate eligible partner staff and prospective participants about public and community resources, and how to access those benefits.
- Ensure that all program outcomes are properly documented in an accurate and time manner through program reporting systems.
- Provide a weekly report, on program activities and individual targets to date.
- Ensure the SACHR’s programmatic goals and individual targets, as they relate to outreach and application completion, are achieved.
- Work with leadership staff to use program performance data to drive improvements to the program design and implementation.
- Participate in all required trainings and meetings; maintain a strong and current expertise in public benefits eligibility, application and enrollment, as well as community resources.
- Bilingual, Spanish and English
- Ability to work independently
- Familiarity with databases and case noting
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORKING ENVIORNMENT:
- Transporting laptop and materials between sites is required.
- Benefit Enrollment Specialist will be mobile and service different community-based organizations.
The Benefit Enrollment Specialist is supervised by the Program Coordinator. Supervisor is offsite, but with daily virtual supervision.
How to Apply: Please send a responsive cover letter and resume to Monique Bourgeois, Office Manager, at email@example.com with the subject line “Benefit Enrollment Specialist”.
The Case Manager position will include the following responsibilities:
- Case management/outreach/advocacy as part of a multi-disciplinary team to active drug users at the central office and outreach locations.
- Work with participants using a person-centered approach to help identify strengths/needs and establish goals and objectives.
- Recruit people in need of services who use drugs into program by understanding the unique challenges and oppression they face.
- Assist with referrals to community based services, housing applications and income/mainstream benefits applications, assistance in accessing health/mental health care, emergency food shelter, transportation, and/or other social services. Follow up as necessary.
- Complete documentation as required including electronic record keeping system, participant files adn completion of reports as required.
- Attend and participate in team meetings, case review and staff tranings as scheduled along with supervision and other program or agency meetings as assigned.
- HIV testing, pre/post HIV test counseling and referrals to STI/STD testing.
- HIV/AIDS and STI/STD risk education and referral to appropriate care.
- Conduct presentations about the Women’s Services Program to community agencies and businesses.
- 1 year case management experience
- Experience with individuals experiencing homelessness, mental illness, and substance use.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and written communication skills.
- Good computer skills – proficient in word, excel, and electronic record keeping.
- Ability to listen and respond non-judgementally with empathy
- Experience with Trauma informed Practice, Motivational Interviewing, Stages of Change, or other evidence-based practices.
- Familiarity with Bronx metnal health, health, housing, and social service providers.
- Spanish speaking strongly preferred
- Excellent benefits package
How to Apply
Please send cover letter and resume as attachments to D. Alexandra Dyer, Chief Financial Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Case Manager” in the subject line.
SACHR provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, veteran status, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, SACHR complies with applicable NYS and NYC laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. SACHR is committed to attracting, retaining and providing opportunity for a diverse and inclusive workforce.